One Day at a Time

I'm still struggling to accept that my Dad is gone...I saw him in the funeral home, but I've picked up my phone to call him about 25 times in the 11 days since he died. After we got off the plane in Ohio, I started bawling because I actually went to his contact information in my phone before I realize I can't call him. All I want to do right now is surround myself with anything that reminds me of him...so naturally, I walk in my kitchen and cook. There's something very therapeutic about being around food right now. I've been revisiting some more of the recipes Dad taught me. Tonight's dinner was no exception...

Dad's Meatloaf with Garlic Mashed potatoes

2 lbs 93% lean ground beef
2 eggs
1/2 to 3/4 c. italian bread crumbs
1 tbsp. chopped garlic
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
1 c. ketchup

Mix beef, eggs, garlic, and onion powder. Slowly add bread crumbs until meat mixture loses the "sticky-ness" of the egg. Form into a loaf and bake in a bread pan or shallow baking dish at 400 for about 40-50 minutes or until cooked completely through. Remove from oven and immediately cover with ketchup.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes
5-6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 c. butter (half-stick)
1/4 c. milk
salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes. Drain. Add minced garlic, butter, milk, salt and pepper. Blend with hand mixer or smash with potato masher. WARNING: You may want to decrease the amount of garlic you use in this recipe. Matt and I LOVE garlic, so I tend to be a little heavy handed with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment