A Stroll Down Memory Lane...


As I sit here a little over day after my Dad passed away, I feel the over whelming urge to cook...maybe because it was always a link between us...maybe because no matter what I made he'd always eat it with a smile...or maybe because right now, thinking about the foods he taught me to cook is bringing his memory closer to me...you could tell from looking at my Dad that he enjoyed food...in fact we compared bellies when I was about 5 months pregnant with my daughter. Here's the things I'm gonna miss him making...


Dad's Fried Rice

2 c. minute brown rice
1/2 c. bacon bits
1 bunch green onions, "green part" chopped
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 eggs

Make the rice according to package. While the rice is resting, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet. Add chopped onion tops and bacon bits. Saute until onions are dark green and tender. Add to rice. Then beat eggs and scramble them in the skillet used for onions/bacon bits. Chop eggs into very small pieces with spatula and add to rice. Add soy sauce and mix all ingredients in rice.

I like to serve this with marinade steak strips that I've seared or with chicken breasts...to be completely honest, this is probably my favorite food to make, so I would probably eat it with anything...or just straight out of the pan...LOL

Butterscotch Pie

Crust from Ann's Perfect Pie Crust recipe (see Traditions, traditions, traditions)

  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 4 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 egg yolks, beaten
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Bake empty shell for 12-15 mintues or until done and *slightly* brown. Set aside. In a double boiler, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, salt, and milk. Stir until thick. Add egg yolks and stir, cooking until thickens. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Keep stirring until completely melted and blended. Pour into baked shell and bake at 400 for 5 minutes or until browned. Keep refrigerated and top with Cool whip.

This was my Dad's favorite pie...my earliest memories of his sense of humor was hearing him say "Hey! Where's that Butterscotch pie you promised me?" to an old friend...or "I'll make you a bet, I'll bet you a Butterscotch pie that I can..." When I was in Ohio, we sat at his table one night and ate a whole pie while we talked...neither one of us had a plate, just "forked" it right out of the pie pan. 


No comments:

Post a Comment