The Marine Corps is founded on it...families thrive on it...its a sense of familiarity, something to look forward to when nothing else is the same...its a Tradition. As a Marine wife, it didn't take me long to figure out that the only way to ever survive the constant changes was to embrace what remained the same. After we had kids, those traditions became even more important. The holiday season brings out the traditions in all of us...from what we make on Thanksgiving to when we decorate our trees...we do it all to create a tradition. When you are a military spouse, those traditions are often the only thing that keeps you going during a deployment or right after a PCS. Tasting the comforts of home at a holiday meal or seeing the kids excited to hang their stockings after the Thanksgiving meal makes whatever house a home...because home is where your heart is. Here's some of my "tradition" recipes, passed on to me mostly from my Grandma Jones. She's been gone nearly 20 years now, but I know that every year she is with me as I sit down with my family and enjoy the foods she taught me to make.
Buckeyes (Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls)
2 sticks of butter
2 cups of Creamy Peanut butter
2 tsp vanilla
4-5 c. powdered sugar
1 bag milk chocolate chips
1/4 bar parafin wax
Combine butter, peanut butter, vanilla until blended. Slowly add powdered sugar until mixture is stiff and no longer sticky to the touch. (kinda like playdough) Break off chucks of dough and roll into balls about the size of a quarter. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
In a double boiler (or small crock pot) combine chocolate chips and wax. Be careful not to allow it to overcook. Stick ball with a toothpick and dip about 3/4 of the ball into the chocolate. Place on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Repeat for all the balls and then refrigerate for at least 45 minutes to harden the chocolate. Store in a air tight container. I keep mine in the fridge because Matt says they taste better cold.
Scalloped Corn
1 can creamed corn
1 can whole kernel corn (drained)
3/4 cup sour cream
1 box jiffy corn bread mix
6-7 slats stick butter
Combine the corns, sour cream and corn bread mix. Pour into a casserole dish and put slats of butter on top. Bake 45-60 minutes or until golden brown and knife come out clean when stuck in center.
Matt and the kids could care less if I ever made this again, but its probably the only thing I want at a holiday meal. I remember this being the only thing I wanted on my plate as a kid, and it will be my first choice when I dive into the leftovers!
Ann's Perfect Pie Crust
What are the holidays without pie? This is a very light, crispy pie crust that I've used to make apple, pumpkin, banana cream, chocolate, cherry pies as well as chicken pot pie. Before Ann passed this recipe to me in 2006, I had went through several crust recipes and none were so complimentary to such a wide variety of fillings.
4 c. flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp salt
1 3/4 c. Crisco
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 egg
1/2 c water
Mix flour, sugar, and salt together. Cut in shortening and mix until crumbly. In another bowl, beat egg. Add vinegar and water. Combine the egg mixture with the flour mixture. Gather the dough and divide into two balls. Refrigerate dough balls for 15 minutes. Roll dough on floured surface. Makes 2 crusts and can be frozen for later use.
yum have wanted a Buckeye recipe forever!!!
ReplyDelete